“It’s very rewarding to be part of an organization that serves immigrant women. I appreciate the leadership team at Sarah’s and feel blessed to be part of this important work.”– SAC Member
Purpose: The Advisory Council is a volunteer body of twelve to fourteen members who serve as strategic thought leaders, collaborators, and catalysts for action for the mission, ministry and work of Sarah’s. In addition to supporting the staff and residents of Sarah’s, the Advisory Council works to promote and embrace a diverse community and to network with other community leaders. The council meets the 3rd Thursday of each month (September-May) from noon-1:00pm.
Sarah’s Advisory Council 2017-2018
- Blanche (Bea) Abdallah, Fundraising and Development
- Sarah Brenes, Chair, Advocates for Human Rights
- Nancy Davis, CSJ
- Marilyn Harder, Friend of Sarah’s
- Renuka Jayatunge, RN, former resident
- Rojina McCarthy, Center for Victims of Torture
- Margaret McRaith, CSJ Consociate
- Colleen O’Malley, CSJ
- Teri Fink Peterson, ELL teacher
- Alex Philstrom, Human Resources
- Betty Schindler, CSJ Consociate
- Amy Smith, International Institute of Minnesota
Sarah’s Staff Members:
CSJ Leadership Team Liaison: Cathy Steffans, CSJ
Key Responsibilities include:
- Advocate on behalf of Sarah’s mission and work.
- Leverage business and civic connections to promote the mission of Sarah’s.
- Lend expertise and experience to represent Sarah’s at planned events.
- If possible, support Sarah’s with a financial contribution.
- Make recommendations about public awareness strategies and resources.
- Identify other experts and knowledge leaders who can support Sarah’s