Volunteers are selected based on mutual expression of Sarah’s needs and the individual volunteer’s expectations, skills and strengths. Sarah’s staff must be able to assure Sarah’s women that their privacy and safety are being protected at all times.
At Sarah’s, volunteers must possess these qualities:
- Ability and willingness to relate with women of diverse backgrounds, language skills, appearances and life experiences.
- Ability to maintain residential confidentiality and commitment to the privacy and safety of the residents being protected at all times.
- Ability to listen to feedback, recognize own potential and limitations, acknowledge other feelings, and ability to communicate well in writing and orally.
- Ability to be collaborative with and accountable to residents, staff, and other volunteers.
- Willingness to make a commitment of a minimum of one semester for students and nine months for non-students.
The first step in the process of becoming a volunteer is to attend a virtual tour and complete the volunteer application. Volunteer positions are not always open. Your information will be maintained in Sarah’s database and you will be contacted if there is a volunteer opening. You are welcome to attend a monthly conversation and talk with Sarah’s director about the potential types of volunteerism that Sarah’s may have available.
Sarah’s has a variety of volunteer opportunities available for those who are interested in getting more involved both individually and as a group. All volunteers will go through Sarah’s on-boarding and training process.